Replies

• 7270158266?profile=RESIZE_400xThe 'rule' of thumb is to double the 4 month weight and in a standard add or subtract 5-10 pounds. Mini doodles mature sooner and can have their adult size by about 9 months. 
    As to coat prediction, my guess is  straight to slight waves. If your pup sheds now, I don't think the shedding will change with the adult coat. Here's a photo of my barely wavy doodle. He sheds quite a bit but has a lovely coat. 

• Straight and shaggy, most likely will shed some. 
    Nancy gave you the formula for weight. Double the weight at 4 months and add 5-10 lbs. 

• Thanks! My vet said he thought she would be in the 60's.  She doesn't really shed now.  

• That sounds about right.  My big fluff was about 50 lbs at 5 months and she's 80ish lbs now, so your pup will be significantly smaller.  I also agree with the "shaggy" assessment for puppy's coat.  Our previous doodle, Luna, didn't really shed as a puppy but shed heavily as an adult.  Doodles with straighter coats tend to shed at least a bit, I haven't heard of one that doesn't.  You'll be able to tell when pup is closer to a year old what kind of shedding to expect.

The "double the weight at 16w and add 10 pounds" didn't work out for us though, Riley was only 30 lbs at 16w (but very slim) and once she filled out with muscle she's about 10 lbs heavier than "predicted".  She is half giant breed though (Bernese) so I'm sure that has something to do with her being extra-heavy.  She's quite slim still, just very well muscled under all her fluff.

• This is a small thing, but 4 months doesn't equal 16 weeks. :)
        4 months equals 52 divided by 3 or 17.3 weeks. 

• She was gaining about 1-2 lbs a week at that point, so was probably around 32 lbs at 4 months then.  

• I do think the formula works best for medium to large doodles (say 40-70 lbs adult weight). I know it doesn't work at all for minis, and I suspect it doesn;t work very well for the very large breed mixes like bernedoodles. Newfies, BMDs, and other breeds of that size don't reach full skeletal growth until about 18 months.

• It's a really good general estimator either way... like if your dog is 30 lbs at 4 months there is no way they are a "mini" lol... or top out at under 50 lbs.  I wonder if it could work for minis if you do the doubling a little earlier and very large dogs if you do it a little later.

This reply was deleted.