Forum

I am aware that cancer is an issue for all dog breeds. However, I know that there is a very high incidence among Goldens. Is the rate of cancer also high in Golden Doodles?

For owners, how old are you dogs and what, if any, types of health problems have you encountered?

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank God my Teddy is fine.  He's 3years old and outside of minor intestinal infection (gardia), no problems.  He's had a bout with Kennel Kough and it was probably a false alarm -- his voice was raspy and it was probably caused by being at the doggie hotel with other darks and barking 24/7.  I learned my lesson after that.  LOL

• I think if a condition is possible in one half of the breed, it's possible in a mixed breed from that breed.  We have had a few goldendoodle owning members lose their doodle to cancer.  And I don't think they were all the same kind of cancer either.  

• We lost our 10 year old goldendoodle, Baker, to lymphoma in June, this year.  One vet did mention the golden retriever factor.

• We lost Luna to lymphoma at 7.5 years old last year.  One of my neighbors just lost their GD to a suspected brain tumor at 7 years old.

• Does size tend to matter with respect to the Doodles that get cancer? I've also read on breeders'  that English Golden Retrievers don't have the same incidence but I don't know if that's true. They say then, that, Doodles from English Goldens don't have the same issues.

• Baker was an F1, 95#...it manifested in his eye & brain.

• It would matter in my opinion because mini and toy poodles have lower cancer rates than standard... so the more small poodle you have in there, statistically speaking, their chances of cancer would be lower.  The more poodle % you have in there the lower the cancer risk as well, since goldens have higher cancer rates overall than poodles. All it takes is one cancer gene though so there are never any guarantees regardless of breed.

Luna was an F1 mini goldendoodle, unsure of the neighbor's dog (looked like F1) but she was a standard.

That being said, even after losing Luna to cancer we got another dog that could be cancer prone (F1 standard bernedoodle), so obviously it isn't a dealbreaker for us.  We just hope she has a long, healthy life.

I did find this thorough study on general rates of cancers of different types, I just gave it a quick glance but I intend to give it a more thorough read-through before choosing my next dog.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3658424/

Here's another chart.  It's from a pet insurance company so unsure of accuracy and the way they have their chart organized is a bit odd

https://www.embracepetinsurance.com/waterbowl/article/rates-of-canc...

Breed-Predispositions to Cancer in Pedigree Dogs
      Cancer is a common problem in dogs and although all breeds of dog and crossbred dogs may be affected, it is notable that some breeds of pedigree dogs…
  • I've had 3 goldendoodles and a labradoodle. One of mine had an extramedullary plasmacytoma on her gums - a malignant tumor that is supposed to be locally invasive and destructive but not metastatic. I had it removed, it came back and then they did a more extensive surgery to remove half her lower jaw. Then she passed away of something that they could never diagnose, but I suspect some sort of cancer - they just couldn't find it. Her daugher Katie, a mini goldendoodle was diagnosed at 3 years old of adenocarcinoma of the nose. She's doing unexpectedly well 2 years later, but there was no reasonable treatment for her tumor. My third is only 10 months old, so she's healthy at this point. And my labradoodle is 3 years old and so far she's healthy. 

I feel like I read about goldendoodles with cancer all the time. And maybe it's anecdotal, but I was in a papillon group for 15 years and very very rarely did we ever hear about cancer in those dogs. I suspect the rates of cancer in doodles (and I don't know if it's specifically goldendoodles or all doodles) is statistically higher than many other breeds. 

• I had. Newfie with the type of mouth cancer that you described. We had it removed and it also returned. We didn't want to remove her lower jaw and it did not interfere with her ability to eat, ao we left it alone. It was a shame because it's a no win situation with thise types of things. I wonder if some type of lasert treatment, like MOHS, would have worked. Bernese Mountain dogs also seem to have a pretty high incidence of cancer and they're a large breed too. 

• Lost my F1 goldendoodle to hemangiosarcoma last year. He was 10 years and 9 mos old. He survived 6 months after a splenectomy with only holistic treatment, no chemo. I know of 2 littermates who are  still alive, no sign of cancer. Goldens have a statisically high rate of all kinds of cancer. Not sure if I would ever get another golden mix. However, with that said, I also lost a 12 yo afghan hound to suspected hemangiosarcoma.

This reply was deleted.