DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I was at my local mom-and-pop pet store this weekend and they were having an awesome sale so I was doing some exploring of new items. Ragley is 6 months old on Tuesday, which clears her for the "dental bone safety" marker for most of the dental chews. I have a toothbrush and teeth gel for her that I try to stay consistent with, but I know myself well enough to realize that this is something I am likely to slip on. She has all of her "big girl" teeth now- they are so pretty, white, and healthy looking and I would like to keep it that way. One of the things that was on sale were these new dental bones from a company called Indigenous Pet Products. They come in a variety of flavors, can snap in half, and are grain free and gluten free. I went ahead and bought a bag since the sale price was good and I know I can easily return them if I decide I don't need them or Ragley doesn't like them. Do dental bones really make that much of a difference? Are these an ok thing for her to be eating? We are steering clear of greenies and these are a little more economical than some of the others. 

Indigenous Dental Health Bones

Ingredients: Potato starch, glycerin, chicken meal, sweet potato, carrot fiber, gelatin, chicken, ProDen PlaqueOff® (dried kelp), natural flavor, lecithin, salmon oil, sorbic acid (to preserve freshness), parsley, chlorophyll.

Guaranteed Analysis:

(based on 100 grams/calculated)
Crude Protein (min.)
6%
  Crude Fiber (max.)
8%

Crude Fat (min.)
2%
  Moisture (max.)
16%

Views: 1171

Replies to This Discussion

We have been using the Whimzees also and they have been GREAT.  Vet was so pleased with Peri's teeth - the last time we went in, Peri only had plaque on ONE tooth and vet could scrape it off while we were there!!!  Yahoo!

That's so cute! Oliver also loves the alligators and plays with them before finally settling down on his bed and chewing. I hope they work well for all of the dogs, I really do think they're what keep Oliver's teeth so nice. Sometimes they have them buy two packages and get one free at Petco (we buy the 16 small alligator packs), which makes them more affordable as Oliver gets one per day. 

I think I will have to go with a large for Cally as she is getting pretty big.

I thought sorbic acid was a naturally occurring substance? Am I wrong? I chose to steer away from whimzees because Ragley is eating a dominantly grain-free diet so the lack of grain in the indigenous chews appealed to me. Otherwise, whimzees would definitely be on our radar. 

whimzees are grain and gluten free as well as GMO free made from human grade ingredients.
Potato starch, glycerin, powdered cellulose, lecithin, yeast, color added (malt extract, annatto extract, alfalfa extract).

Weird- chewy.com lists rice as one of the ingredients...that's why I thought they were not grain free. That's strange. Nevermind then! Thanks!

And I ordered them from chewy but the website lists no grains, my doodle eats a grain free diet also. http://www.whimzees.com/products/alligator/

Thank you!

It also says not suitable for dogs under nine months.. Interesting. I have been waiting to get them for Cally but she is still under nine months so we are not there yet!

I never noticed that precaution before. I wonder why nine months? We definitely gave them to Oliver at about six months (maybe even earlier)--right after his adult teeth came...

Well if you had good results and no issues I am willing to try. I just found it odd that it was nine months and not six like all the others!

I had always been under the impression that sorbic acid is an artificial preservative. I did just google it and it looks like it can also be naturally derived but that's very uncommon, and basically all sorbic acid is synthetically created. While googling, I found out that Kraft recently removed sorbic acid from their sliced cheese, replacing it with a more natural alternative--IMO Kraft removing it from their highly processed cheese slices says a lot! :) 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2019   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service