Forum

OK - we have been deciding that Truffle needs a companion and are seriously contemplating bringing a 'doodle that needs "re-homing" into our home, knowing full well that there are significantly different & more serious risks than getting from a breeder whom we vetted.

We did weeks & weeks of research about Labradoodles & decided to find a breeder of Multi-generation Australian Labradoodles to pick our first 'doodle. We lucked out, found a great breeder, and Truffle is wonderful, coat, temperment, intelligence is all as expected.

I know that bringing a rescue into our home comes with so many more unknowns & variables & there is lots of risk, but I think I am up for it.

We were contacted tonight about a potential 'doodle who is a 4-month-old Goldendoodle whose family didn't realize the amount of energy that one of these pups is blessed with nor the amount of commitment/time they need.

I would know what questions I would ask about a Labradoodle rescue but I am not sure whether these questions apply to a Goldendoodle; questions are merely for frame of reference to know what we might be taking on, not for rejecting the pup.

Here are the questions I would ask about a Labradoodle ... do they apply to Goldendoodles?

• Where did current owners get her ... breeder with experience or backyard?
  • What "generation" of 'doodle she is? ... I'm not sure Goldendoodles are "classified" the same way as Labradoodles (Truffle is an Australian Multi-Generation Labradoodle whose breeder could provide her lineage; do Goldendoodles trace lineage/ancestry in a similar way?)
  • At 4-months, a Labradoodle would not have blown her puppy coat yet, but I would know to ask about her parents; Do Goldendoodles have similar information to be able to guess as to what type of coat she might have as an adult?
  • Is there documentation that she is healthy? I believe that if I were getting a Goldendoodle from a breeder, I would ask about eyes/hips/elbows just as I did for our Labradoodle.

Are there any other issues peculiar to Goldendoodles that might be different from Labradoodles?

Any other suggestions?

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So a big difference between IDOG and DRC is that IDOG requires an individual application for each dog you apply for.  And you can't apply until they are listed.  On the other hand, DRC prefers an application on file and will often look at their general applications before a dog is even listed for the public.  Just FYI!

• Oh, thanks. I did not realize that & will get an application into DRC tomorrow! (heading off to a sleep study tonight - yay NOT).

• I've never looked at the IDOG application, but I hope they let you copy and paste a lot of your information from one application to the next! I think I spent hours filling our DRC's appliation. It was very thorough. Of course I might also have been a little thorough in my answers. I do like talking about my dogs!

• In general, the more information you give, the better. I do remember a few exceptions, though. You want to be thorough and thoughtful in your answers, but there is a point at which one can sound batty, lol. 

• I try to hit the happy place between good dog owner and insane. ;)

• I just know that if I didn't know and trust IDOG and DRC, I probably would have given up in my applications for volunteering, let alone adopting a dog...lol.  

• Again, thanks everyone for your thoughtful & very useful input. As we tried to get more info about the pup in question, too many questions began being raised & we decided to not pursue the one that we originally were thinking about. We'll keep looking & keep in mind everything you pointed out to take into consideration

• Good luck, Carol. Ned is a multigenerational ALD from a breeder. We purchased him at about 4 months of age.  Two of my furbabies are rescues - one from a shelter and one a re-home through the DRC.  Both are wonderful dogs.  The shelter boy was labeled dog aggressive, but he is not.  Most likely he was scared.  The re-home is a multigenerational ALD and is exhibiting some health issues, probably genetic.  However, I wouldn't trade them for anything. My son's rescue was a 4 month old shelter puppy through DRC.  I guess the point is if you want to be truly picky about what you get, go to a reputable breeder, but if you can roll with the punches a bit, go to a rescue.  Both are appropriate options.  IF I were getting another dog today the only requirement I'd have is IF I went to a breeder, I'd check them out both sides of Sunday for health testing the adults.

This reply was deleted.