I posted last week about picking up our new Goldendoodle (F1 Standard)- I was just introducing myself and asked about any coat predictions. A few of you were getting your puppies last weekend or this upcoming weekend so hope you are enjoying! To make a very long story short, we did not end up getting the original puppy (he was in my profile pic and I also attached a pic to that last post) but we did end up with another Goldendoodle. It was a stressful week but I believe that sometimes things have a way of working out the way they are suppose to and we are so happy and in love with our new little guy. His name is Theo Dorable (my 7 year old loves Alvin and the Chipmunks and told us Theodore's girl friend calls him Theodorable). Theo has been doing really well with nighttime crate training and potty training too. I have a few questions if you don't mind helping me out. We lost our only dog, a 15 year old Shih-tzu, last summer so we haven't had a puppy in 16 years! Also, while we both grew up with dogs, this is our first 'big' dog.
1. Any tips on puppy biting, especially with kids? We are on top of redirecting him to things he is allowed to chew on and praising him when he does chew on those things
2. Feeding schedule- is it a must? Our Shih-tzu was free fed and we talked to Theo's breeder and she had the puppies free feeding. The vet (we had our first appt. yesterday) was against it, as I know a lot of vets and dog owners are.
3. Any tips on crate training for when we aren't home? We have yet to leave him. We only lock him in the crate at night. He , for right now, is next to our bed and immediately settles in when I show him that I am next to him and give him my hand to sniff/lick for a second. We will slowly move him out of our room over the next few weeks. We move the crate to the family room during the day and leave the door open. He occasionally goes in there by himself to sit or play, on his own for a few minutes but then comes out. How do I make the transition to shutting the door and leaving the room/house without it being a tough/bad/anxiety provoking thing for him?
4. Pics attached (plus my profile one). Just for fun, any coat/color predictions? I see some furnishings but his ears aren't very wavy. So maybe just a shaggy , not wavy coat?? I don't think he will have a flat coat but not sure he will have waves. He is really red in some areas and has begun to lighten in some areas too.
5. Favorite toys? (for teething/chewing and for playing)
6. I noticed Theo's big paws immediately but have also read sometimes big paws are not necessarily a good indicator of size in mixed breeds. The vet yesterday said he looks like he will be about 80lbs. Both of his parents are under 60lbs. He was 11lbs yesterday at 8.5 weeks. What's your experience been like with your doodle?
7. When should I expect to take him for his first grooming? I'd like to let his coat grow a bit just to see it (I know it will change as he loses his puppy coat) but I think he may need a face, feet, and tail type of grooming before he needs a full body grooming.
Thanks everyone so much for your time and for sharing your knowledge and opinions!