Riley has been obsessively licking her front paws for a week... I thought at first it might be irritation from road salt but it continued even after bathing and drying a few times and after she didn't go for any walks for a few days due to crappy weather. DH took her to the vet today and said her paws are a little red but don't look infected or injured or anything of the sort. They gave us some Theraderm cream (contains a corticosteroid, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal) just to get things under control and said she probably has some kind of allergy.
Looks like we probably have another doodle with allergies, hopefully they don't get as bad as Luna's were :/
Anyway things I am doing (or plan on doing), anything I am missing?
- Apply the cream 4x a day for a couple days, then 3x a day, then 2x a day until her symptoms reduce or the cream runs out (it says 2-4 times a day on the package)
- Switched food (from Chicken a la veg to Salmon a la veg) - this was the vet's recommendation, I don't think food is the culprit but she has never done great on the chicken formula anyway. We'll probably just alternate between salmon and duck.
- Started giving EPO capsules 2x a day (2000 mg total), one with each meal
- Wipe down paws and face at least once a day and definitely after street walks (are regular baby wipes safe for this? We have a ton of them)
- We've been keeping socks on her when she starts the obsessive licking but she rips them off most of the time.
If that doesn't work then we'll reassess and might have to start some antihistamines or something but I really hope not.
Any more ideas?
Thanks doodle friends!