Hi everyone, I've been spectating this forum for awhile and I finally got the chance to post rosemary! She is a F1 Goldendoodle. Shes 12 weeks old and weights 22lbs. Do you guys have any weight/coat predictions. The breeder told me that she was gonna be 40-45lbs but seeing that shes halfway there I don't think that's the case. Also do you guys have any tips for a hyper active doodle?

8593331874?profile=RESIZE_710x8593332881?profile=RESIZE_710x8593335682?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello!  How cute! 

If she is already 22 lbs there is no way she will be 40-45 lbs, she is a BIG girl.  For an estimate you take the weight at 16 weeks, double it and that's their adult weight +/- about 5-10 pounds.  For our big doodle Riley she was +10 pounds from the estimate at 16 weeks, she is half Bernese though they tend to be heavier boned.  To give you an idea Riley came home at about 12.5 pounds and she is 73 lbs as an adult.  I don't have her 16 week weight handy I'm not at my computer.

Our new goldendoodle pup Toby is about 17 lbs at 14.5 weeks old (came home at 8.5 lbs), I imagine he will be closer to that 45-50 lb mark and your doodle will be significantly larger than that.  Eagerly waiting for him to be 16 weeks so we'll see how big he will probably get, DH is hoping he'll be a bit bigger than my prediction but we'll see ;)

For coat I'd say "wavy" would be my prediction.  She has a really nice, full-looking coat.  Her coat is pretty straight so I would say it's pretty likely she will shed and may have an undercoat that changes seasonally.

To help with the energy, play time and training time is all you can really do.  Goldendoodles are smart dogs from two working breeds and they require a lot of physical activity and mental stimulation.  

Enjoy her! :)

• The thing is, I don't think that formula works as well for smaller dogs. Smaller dogs reach full adult size earlier than large dogs do, 6-8 months versus 10-12 months, so a small dog's size at 4 months is a greater percentage of their adult size than a large dog's would be. At 4 months, a small dog might have reached two thirds of his adult size, where a large dog might be less than half his adult size. So I really think it's possible that Rosemary might end up under 50 lbs. 

• Maybe!  She is a standard though (I'm assuming based on her 12 wk size), so wouldn't the "big dog" formula apply?

It might not work for Toby though, we will see.  Maybe he'll be closer to 40 lbs.

• I don't think she is a standard, if the breeder predicted 40-45 lbs. Standard doodles are typically considerably larger than that. Unless this is a completely inexperienced breeder who is averaging the parents' weights, lol, and even then, the parents would have to be very small dogs. I mean, an F1 has one Golden Retriever parent and one Standard Poodle parent, lol. 
          I'm wondering if the Poodle parent might have been a Miniature Poodle.

• A lot of doodle breeders predict puppy weights based on an average of the parents' weights.  I don't think I've seen any that do it any differently.

If she's an F1 mini then the 40ish lbs makes sense.  

I think some doodle breeders also don't tell the truth about the potential weights of the puppies because a lot of people don't WANT a big dog.  Either that or like you said they are just inexperienced and don't know what's possible.

Riley is supposedly bigger than both her parents (~65 for each) but that sort of makes sense the way she turned out, poodle shape with the heavier structure of a Bernese.

• You would think that anyone who doesn't want a big dog wouldn't buy a standard, lol, regardless of what the breeder says. 
              Being bigger than both parents is normal. Size is dominant. 
              As for averaging the parents' weights, with mixed breeds that's just plain dumb, lol. It's not even all that smart with purebreds. And I actually have known some decent doodle breeders who know enough not to do that, although they are scarce these days.

• You would think so but I think you overestimate the average dog owner's knowledge of dogs :p

I've seen plenty of advertisents for "small standard" doodles where they have a small standard poodle with a smaller X breed... and the X (retriever or whatever) is the female so of course the size potential of the puppies is much larger than the parents.

There are lots of people out there who want a "medium sized" dog and if they don't know much about dogs might pick a standard based on the breeder's prediction of that "medium" size range.

I have a neighbor who supposedly brought home an F1 mini who is now 100 lbs.   Something fishy going on there.

• My question though, is what is the definition of a medium sized dog? I had 4 pound Papillons. They are obviously a small dog. Katie is supposed to be a mini. She's 30 pounds. I would argue that you could still call a 30 pound dog small. I can carry her under my arm, although it's difficult. But I think there are people who would call her a medium sized dog.

Then Willow is about 55 pounds and 22" at the shoulder. She came out of a standard poodle and a normal sized golden retriever. I would also call her a medium sized dog. Maggie is about 56 pounds and 24" at the shoulder. She feels significantly larger than Willow even though the weigh about the same - it's the height I think, and the fact that Willow is really compact. But is Maggie really a large dog? In comparison to what? She's not large next to a Great Dane, or a Wolfhound, or even a big German Shepherd. 

We could say that there are 5 sizes of dog. Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, and Giant. But there is still going to be a big range between the smallest small dog and the biggest small dog. I think size is really subjective. One person's medium dog might be another person's large dog. But it's like everything with doodles. There's just no standard.

• The standards that are used for small medium and large on websites like Petfinder, or things like Barkbox, are under 20-25 lbs for small, and under 50 lbs for medium. Over 50 lbs, it's always considered large, even though that's not what you or I think of as a large dog. (I'm not sure what weight qualifies for Petfinder's "extra large" size.) That's why the "large breed" pet food formulas always say "for dogs over 50 lbs". 
                    And that first size of the 5 you listed should be Toy, lol, not "tiny". Only BYBs use the term "tiny" to talk about a dog's size. :) 
                    Personally, I think height needs to figure in when describing a dog as "medium", "large", etc. 
                    I once went to see a Standard Poodle who was listed as "medium" sized by the rescue that had her. She was taller than 80 lb Jack, but she weighed under 50 lbs, which is not unusual for Standard Poodles. I told the rescue to change her listing, lol. 

• The "Micro" and "Teacup" designations always bother me... that and "teddy bear" for doodles.  Doodles are not teddy bears, they are DOGS!

This reply was deleted.