As the time counts down to bringing our goldendoodle puppy home (3 weeks now! Eep!) I've been starting to think of some of the "nuts and bolts" of bringing a puppy into a house where you already have an adult dog. I know lots of you have (or have had) this situation in the past and I need your expertise!
A few things that came to mind (any and all tips are welcome!)
- Feeding in separate rooms has to happen (especially the first few weeks when they're on different foods, puppy is on TLC and Riley is on Fromm grain-free)
- Training in a different part of the house so Riley doesn't get confused, at least in the beginning while we are establishing basic commands.
- I need to buy another leash and collar, though I have to check with the breeder he is probably coming home with a collar.
- I'm assuming they will share the big dog bed in the main living space (Riley barely uses it, she prefers the couch lol). At night he can use Luna's old crate partitioned off for now, it may be big enough for him as an adult we will see.
- Toy sharing I'm not clear on. I was going to buy him some puppy nylabones but Riley would likely steal them unless they're in a place she can't get to. Riley's chew toys are all Nylabone dura bones, so probably too hard for a puppy. We do have a number of Kongs though (some puppy Kongs) that Riley doesn't really care about that he could have. We have random rope toys and such too for supervised play, but I need to get a few newer ones.
- Our toddler and the puppy probably won't be spending a ton of time together until puppy has learned good bite manners. Toddler is pretty gentle with Riley but she's so big compared to him that she just doesn't worry about him. Little fingers and sharp puppy teeth are going to take some management.
Tell me your multi dog house puppy rearing secrets! :)