Forum

Today is my 65th birthday--I hoped to have a nice quiet day at home with my pups--not the case.

3703890900?profile=RESIZE_710xAlmost immediately after eating breakfast, Lyric (the apricot dog on the right) began pacing and acting strange. She refused her piece of banana that she looks forward to every day. Then she vomited foam in the other room--my husband let her out before telling me about the vomiting and when I looked outside she was bloated, pacing and had foam coming from her mouth....I know this is gross, but it is important to know the signs of GDV--a twisted stomach. I got her inside and felt her tummy and it was like an inflated basketball was in there. She would hardly move and was obviously in distress--a phone call to my vet daughter confirmed the bloat diagnosis. It happened so fast!

We are so lucky to have expert specialtyvets just 40 minutes north of us--I called my own vet and they gave me an appt for 90 minutes later (I expressed alarm but the vet tech did not waver!) so I decided not to wait and we got on the highway. Poor Lyric leaned into me and drooled for the entire ride. The vets saw her right away and diagnosed the GDV and did some tests--they had her in surgery within two hours, so that really improved the outcome. NO DAMAGE to stomach or spleen! (Blood flow to those organs can be stopped due to the twist, so time is of the essence here.) She should have a full recovery. If you get them into the operating room fast, most dogs survive and luckily, I was home to see what was happening!

So she is now recovering --not sure my credit card will recover as fast, but she deserves a few more years of life if I can give it to her. She is almost 12, but she has a strong heart and is not deaf or blind, so her quality of life is still very good. I feel it was worth all the money we spent and then some. I wil be ordering her "slo-bowl" today!!

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank God, Thank God. You really did get a miraculous birthday gift, though I know it may not seem like it right this minute. I hope Lyric's recovery is easy and uneventful.

I think it would be educational for us to know Lyric's height and weight. So many people think bloat only happens to really big dogs. Also, do you know if there are Standard Poodles in her pedigree at all, and if so, how far back? 
    Happy Birthday, Ginny. You really did get a wonderful gift, your girl is still with you. :)

• What a scary things and WHAT a relief.  Thank God indeed!

We don't have any after hours vets here, it's ridiculous.  3 clinics in town, 2 neighboring vets and the only after hours vet option is an hour away.  

• Time is a big factor, but it's not the only factor. Competence on the part of the veterinarians is the bigger factor. I had JD at the ER a half hour after the first symptoms appeared, before his stomach had twisted, and they didn't get him into surgery for 4 and a half hours after we got there. They didn't even think it was bloat, and didn't get him into Xray for 90 minutes after we arrived. They didn't know to insert an oro-gastric tube to prevent his stomach from twisting. They basically killed him. And this was a Level 1 trauma center. I could have driven to another ER further away and he probably would have been fine. But who knows. ER vets are usually the bottom of the barrel. 

• Luckily, this facility has a board certified staff of surgeons and 24 hour care. My latest report on Lyric ( she is improving!) was from 4 am. Very grateful! 

• The facility where Jack died also had a full staff of board certified surgeons and 24 hour care. In fact, they advertised "6 board certified surgeons on call 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year." That's why I took him there. But the surgeons aren't the ones who initially see your dog. For that, you have to depend on vets who can't get a job anywhere else, and interns who have no experience. 
          You have good reason to be grateful. 

• That is terrible--the xray was done and the vet met with us within 20 minutes and they were stabilizing her--but I bet the surgery was done as many as 5 hours after her symptoms started--but she was getting care and I know they were planning to using the tube if the surgery was delayed any more than that--I did tell them right up front that it was most likely GDV because my daughter and I had discussed it that morning--but I am not sure they believed me--it was quickly confirmed anyway. So sad about what happend to Jack---you must have been furious. 

• I have since gotten my vet's private number, after swearing to him that I will never ever use it except in a true emergency. That's really the only way to be sure your dog will get the help he needs, and get it in time. Even if you live across the street from an after hours vet. 

• I have an acquaintance who I believe is an ER vet out of the city.  A friend of mine took her dog to her house when she thought she hurt her hip or knee.  But I'm not sure this vet could do anything for bloat at her house.  I'll ask my vet about this but I have a feeling she will give the "party line" of "The only ER services off hours are in the Tri Cities."  

• You do have to have a relationship with your vet, and some mutual trust. 
          But any vet can treat bloat, and do the surgery. Not in their home of course, but if it happens during business hours, you take your dog to your vet, not the ER.
          And if it happens after hours, your vet can call the ER and tell them you are bringing in a dog with bloat, etc. They give you more attention and better service if your vet has given them a head's up that he or she is sending you over. 
          And what you really want to avoid are places that have surgical interns. Who need to learn on your dog.

This reply was deleted.