Puppy Eye Issue

Hello. We are supposed to get our puppy next week from the breeder (puppy is currently 7 weeks old) and we received an email today saying that the puppy went for his final vet check and he has "some tiny synechiae remnants in the posterior chambers of the eyes. This is simply where there was adherence of the iris to the eye capsule during development and the eyes are still clearing up. This does not affect the eyesight, and will be fully resolved soon." Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would be on the phone with my vet asking him/her about this. 
    I can tell you that in humans, this condition leads to blindness. 

•  It appears that it's also a problem in dogs and can certainly affect the eyesight. 
    https://wagwalking.com/condition/synechiae

https://www.ofa.org/diseases/eye-certification/eye-disease-glossary

Synechiae in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
    The iris can sometimes become displaced and adhere to another part of the eye, usually as the result of an eye infection or injury.
  • Thank you for your responses thus far. I have texted our vet (she's my good friend) and she told me to ask if the puppy had been seen by an opthalmologist. She also wondered if the breeder was referring to persistent pupillary membranes. I have sent an email to the breeder with these follow-up questions.

• Very few doodle breeders have the puppies' eyes checked by an opthalmologist, I will be pleasantly surprised if it was. 
      PPM can be harmless or not, it depends what type. If they are Iris to iris, it's fine. The other types are not. 
      Persistent pupillary membranes (PPM): persistent blood vessel remnants in the anterior chamber which fail to regress normally by 3 months of age. These strands arise from the iris collaret and may bridge from iris to iris, iris to lens, iris to cornea or form sheets of tissue in the anterior chamber.

• I heard back from the breeder:

Oh no, not persistent pupillary membranes. 

This is just tiny specks left over from when the eyes fully opened. If you've ever seen the eyes of a puppy or kitten as they open, they are a bit cloudy because they're just clearing up from the adhesions that kept them closed the first few weeks of life. 

This is pretty common and most often, by the time the families take their pups for their 9 week vaccines, it is completely resolved. 
        • I would want to hear that from my vet. 
          I've seen many a puppy in my time, and I've never seen what she is describing. Puppies eyes are not kept closed during the first few weeks (it's actually less than 2 weeks) from "adhesions". When they are born, puppies' central nervous system is still developing, including their optical nerves. Because their optical nerves aren't fully developed, they're too delicate for bright light—which is why their eyes remain closed until the nerves are finished developing. 

• Hopefully, you have already seen (not just been told, but actually seen) the CERF testing on the parents' eyes. 

• I would like to post a follow-up in case anyone comes across this in the future. Reggie is home with us now. Our vet was able to talk to the breeder's vet before he came home and alleviate all of our worries. He has been to his first vet appointment at home where our vet was able to look at his eyes and she doesn't see any of the frragments mentioned in the breeder's message or in the report by the first vet and she is not concerned.  

• Glad it all worked out.  Enjoy your new addition :-)

This reply was deleted.