I  know there are a lot of puppies going around these days... how are your puppies doing?  How old?  How big? :)  Let's see!

Adult dogs too, I want to see how everyone's doing!

Little Toby has been home about 6 weeks and he's doing well.  He's almost 100% potty trained and Riley and him are definitely best buds.  He's doing really well with tolerating grooming, just did a feet/fanny trim today and he just lay down on the grooming table while I did his paws.  He's also doing well with socialization - we take him to our daughter's school during pick up time and the people and cars all over don't phase him at all.  

He really has a nice disposition even though he is in full-on puppy shark mode these days.  Riley is absolutely covered in scabs from Toby's attacks, I don't know how she has the patience to deal with all his biting.

Toby is about 16 pounds at 14 weeks old and going for his last shots next week.  Waiting for that 16-week guesstimate to see how big he's going to get!   He won't get anywhere near Riley's 75 lbs and 27" at the shoulder though... I'm guessing around 45 pounds.

Many silly noises were made to get them to sit still for half a second.  Look at those LONG poodle legs on Toby!

8575937856?profile=RESIZE_710x

What they looked like during all my other unsuccessful picture attempts:

8575937897?profile=RESIZE_710x

The aftermath:  an exhausted Riley enjoys some quiet time while Toby is napping elsewhere in the house.  This pic of her reminds me of memes I've seen of exhausted mothers dealing with toddlers, haha.  She has this look often like "WHY does he have to be like this!?"... but she loves him to pieces I can tell :)

8575945673?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I tried to find a nice name that would be like the "dark before the dawn" to go with the Sunrise theme... couldn't figure anything out :p

I then looked up "Midnight Ruby" and apparently it's a cheap hair dye so maybe not the best idea lol.

Black sapphires are a thing and they are the same type of stone as rubies but they apparently don't have any kind of cool name.

• But the registered name doesn't have to have anything to do with the call name "Ruby". Or it can be connected, like "Jewel Of My Heart" or "She's A Gem", which are corny but you get the idea. 

• I know Maggie's registered name is "I Still Believe In Magic" (which I love), what is Willow's registered name? Maybe you can have a theme going with your girls' registered names as well as call names. 
            Other ideas are names related to the sire & dam's names, and sometimes the pedigree will have a theme. In Jasper's sire's paternal line, the dogs' names all have to do with sailboats, after a very famous great-grandfather. 
            Just be happy your breeder didn't insist on a theme for the litter. That can be hard; just ask Adina, lol. 

• I know some of the names of the line make sense to the breeder, but they just confuse me! Ruby's mom is Harten Bar-None Fantastical. But there's also a Fantabulous and I have to look up who is who every time. Dad is Donnchada Dulcinea Pop Fizz Clink, which makes sense because he was born on New Year's Eve. Willow is Stacy's Life As It Happens. Which is a line from a song, but also appropriate because she was so unexpected. It was just life as it happened. I happened to come home with a dog I didn't even know I wanted. 

I hate names that indicate color or breed or some other physical attribute. Fluffy, Spot, Pappy, Goldie, Ruby for a red dog, Midnight. I feel like it's a little too on the nose. Can't we be more creative than naming our brown dog Brownie? I spent a fair amount of time thsi week looking at registered names for the newsletter. It's fun looking at all of their names. 

• I see a theme to Maggie and Willow's registered names. It feels like they are related to a life journey. You live, you learn. I've been through some rough things, but I still retain my sense of hope and wonder. I'm still willing to to take a leap of faith. Play with that idea maybe. 

I agree with obvious descriptive names being trite or boring, but they don't have to be obvious. And again, you have to separate the call name from the registered name. The call name is what you live with every day, and it affects your training. The registered name is kind of an announcement to the world of who this dog is, or who you hope she will be. A reflection and a promise.
                And when a dog gets really famous, lol, everyone knows them by their call name anyway. :) 

• My ex dil's whippets had themes and color in their registered names. 8611779298?profile=RESIZE_400x8611782661?profile=RESIZE_400x

• And Ruby is my birthstone so I highly approve. 5 dogs ago I was going to have my next dog named Ruby. Should I say 5 dogs ago and they've all been male!  5 dogs ago is a lot of years   My kids were little and we named dogs together as a family. So we had Simon Ruby Weber Haver aka Simon! LOL8611762857?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Update after vet visit.. Toby is actually 17 pounds at 14.5 weeks old :p  Growing so fast!  He's doubled his weight in the 6 weeks he's been home.

AND for the first time ever he didn't get carsick on the drive home from the vet!  Good job Toby!

• Way to go little Toby!  They usually lose that car sickness.

• Yes, Riley had a bit of that too when she was little.  The vet mentioned that Toby would probably grow out of it since it seemed to be related to anxiety from being in the car.  He's been getting less and less anxious since we've been taking him to pick up our daughter from school every day, looks like it's working!   The vet trip was just extra long (30 mins each way) compared to our usual school pick up trip (10 mins each way) so more time to build up those stress hormones.

This reply was deleted.