Last week we took in a Doodle rehome from a family that couldn't properly care for her. Not fixed and just shy of 11 months we have an appointment to have her spayed next week, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. Not about the spaying itself, but whether it may be harmful at this juncture. Spent much time the past few days researching via the internet and I'm wondering whether it would be prudent to wait a few months to have the procedure. The problem is I have an intact male Doodle of seven months and no desire to help raise a brood.
Parsing through the literature, what gives me most pause is the threat of osteosarcoma (bone cancer), a common cancer in larger breeds, and Retrievers in particular. From what I've read, the threat increases significantly if the procedure is done before 12 months of age. Orthopedic issues are also a concern as an early procedure is said to affect the closing of the growth plates.
I don't want my new sweetheart to suffer any ill effects from my untimely decision, but by waiting a couple months I'm rolling the bones that she won't go into heat.
In a Quandry (otherwise known as Mark)