I've been thinking about this a lot lately as Riley reaches her maximum size...What is my ideal SIZE of dog?  We want another dog in a few years once our son is a bit older and Riley is more settled so it's got me thinking.  

Forget for a minute about breeds, coat type, whatever... I've had 3 very different sizes of dogs - a 12 lb Bichon (Yoshi), 38 lb mini goldendoodle (Luna) and now a ~75 lb standard bernedoodle (Riley).

I think my ideal dog size falls somewhere between Luna and Riley, around the 50-60 lb range. 

Luna's size was good in many ways, mostly in terms of just physically being able to control and lift her more easily.  It was also nice that if I placed things about 6" away from the edge of the kitchen counter there's no way she could get them... (See also: Reasons I don't want a cat lol)

Riley is tall, big enough to put her nose up on a kitchen counter without her paws leaving the ground.  She's also VERY strong, stronger than I am and almost too heavy for me to lift (definitely too heavy to lift without potentially hurting myself).  DH thinks Riley is the perfect size (or possibly secretly he wishes she were larger), probably because he doesn't have the same physical struggles as I do with her.  

Things to consider when I go on my next breed hunt... though who am I kidding we are probably going to end up with another doodle lol.

What's your ideal dog size? 

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Near our old house there used to be two boys who would come to the park, about 10 and 8 years old... which would be fine except that one of the boys (the younger one) had some kind of intellectual disability and had no impulse control.  He would RUN up to Luna and grab her face, pull her ears etc. while I'm frantically trying to shield her and tell him to stop... then the mom would walk to the park 5 minutes later and control her son but in those 5 minutes something bad could have happened. It was wild and super irresponsible.  Thankfully we only ran into them a few times and Luna was just kind of trying to hide behind me.

The worst part is they GOT A DOG (a large breed rescue border collie mix of some sort) and she was super wild and uncontrollable too (and leash aggressive) and for a while they let the 10 year old walk her.  She was too strong for him and was pulling everywhere and trying to attack other dogs.

Ugh.

• My son cares for a beautiful white husky that everyone wants to pet.  Whenever anyone asks to pet her, he says "She bites" and they usually back off.  She usually just licks and nibbles, but it is good to let people know not to mess with her, besides they get dirty, sticky hands all over her white hair.

• Border Collie mix. Great choice for a kid with poor impulse control. 
                    You wonder what people are thinking. I guess they're NOT thinking. :( 

• I mean their son clearly loved dogs even though he behaved super inappropriately around them.  I guess they probably thought if he had his own dog he would leave other dogs alone maybe? Anyway probably not the smartest decision but I imagine they were not thinking it through.

• When I am out with the girls and a child comes up and asks to pet them I always ask if it is ok with their parents and I make them point them out to me so I make eye contact to ensure it is ok first.  I find the majority of parents make their children ask if it is ok to pet rather than just running up to pet them.  AnnaBelle always backs away from them anyway, so Lucy gladly steps in to get the loving and then AnnaBelle thinks well, maybe I will step back up there, lol!

• I also like larger dogs and Hondo (my heart dog) weighed 105 pounds, but he could make himself 200 pounds if you tried to pick him up (like to put him in a tub).  However, we got a ramp and with a cookie enticement, he would "walk the plank".  Our dogs now are 30, 50, and 70 pounds and only the little one gets picked up.  They can all still jump into the back of the car and walk up onto a grooming table.  We haven't used the ramp in a while but it is still around here somewhere for when we need it.  So far, they are still young (3, 6, and 9) and in good shape.  I guess the time will come when we have to consider their mobility (just like our own).

• Hi, I just came across the Old English Sheepdog discussion and thought I would chime in. I owned and breed these years ago and although they might not be very smart they are very clam, loving and loyal. I raised them on 40acres and had 3 young kids of my own at the time along with 5 nieces and nephews that lived next door, these dogs make the best baby sitters I have ever seen. They will follow your child around for hours stopping when they do and will stay with them at all times. We had various types of animals on farm from exotic birds to sheep, horses, cows and pigs and not one time did they ever go after anything. With all that being said, I have never seen a mean one ever, I think it's how you raise them like with any breed is what you are going to get out of them. : )

• With all due respect, "its how you raise them" is the excuse/justification used by Pit Bull advocates every time a PB hurts or kills someone. Yes, puppies of any breed who are bred from parents with proven good temperaments and raised properly are going to be calmer, sweeter dogs than those who aren't. But there is absolutely no denying that there are breed tendencies that are hard wired in dogs after hundreds of years of selective breeding for those traits. Retrievers retrieve. Terriers dig. Herding breeds herd. Guard dogs guard. 
      Herding breeds have a tendency to herd other animals and small children by nipping them. That's just a fact. Does every single one do this? No. But if someone said to me, "I have an OES and a Golden Retriever. One of them herds my children by nipping at the backs of their legs. Guess which one?" I could probably answer the question correctly, lol.
      "Mean" is not the word I would use to describe any dog's temperament. But any breed or mixed breed dog can have a very sharp, unreliable temperament. I do think it is important to consider general breed tendencies when choosing a dog, especially a mixed breed dog who is coming from unknown bloodlines, which is true of the vast majority of doodles. 

• It seems to me there are certain things that seem "hardwired" into certain breeds because that was the whole point of creating those breeds in the first place.  With mixes you never quite know what you are going to get which I think is a constant problem with doodles.  People expect to get the "best" of both breeds (or the multiple breeds if more than 2) but none of the "bad" or less desirable things.

Every and I mean EVERY herding breed dog we've encountered (usually aussies or border collies) tries to herd Riley.  Poor girl they definitely think she is a sheep when they first see her lol.  That can't be pure coincidence.

This reply was deleted.