We are Green Gables doodle owners who love our dogs and they love us.
10 Members

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Comments

  • It has been checked out on snopes.com. It is a fact! Can be checked on the ASPCA site also.

    Written by:

    Laurinda Morris, DVM

    Danville Veterinary Clinic

    Danville, OH


    This week I had the first case in history of raisin

    toxicity ever seen at MedVet.

    My patient was

    a 56-pound, 5 year old male neutered lab mix

    that ate half a canister of raisins sometime

    between 7:30AM and 4:30PM on Tuesday.

    He started with vomiting,

    diarrhea and shaking

    about 1:00AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't

    call my emergency service until 7:00AM.


    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND

    grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't

    seen any formal paper on the subject. We

    had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime,

    I called the ER service at MedVet,

    and the doctor there was like me...had heard something about it,

    but...anyway,

    we

    contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids

    at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the

    kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was

    already at 32 (normal less than 27) and

    creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).

    Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream.

    We placed an IV catheter and

    started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values

    at 5:00PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine

    over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.

    At that point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure

    and sent him on to MedVet for a

    urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight

    as well as overnight care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet

    and his renal values continued to increase daily.

    He produced urine when given lasix as a

    diuretic.

    He was on 3 different anti-vomiting

    medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting.

    Today his urine output decreased

    again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was

    at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his

    blood pressure, which had been staying around

    150, skyrocketed to 220.

    He continued to vomit

    and the owners elected to euthanize.


    This is a very sad case...great dog, great owners

    who had no idea raisins could be a toxin.

    Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this

    very serious risk.


    Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could

    be toxic.

    Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins

    as treats including our ex-handler's. Any

    exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

    Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia nuts can

    be fatal, too.


    Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do.

    This is worth passing on to them.
This reply was deleted.
E-mail me when people leave their comments –