I'm putting this here so I can find it again when I need it.
And you know I just have to say....I told you so, lol. From the very beginning. ;)

While further research is needed, a literature review of 150 studies indicates dilated cardiomyopathy is inherited in dogs:

https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/grain-diet-not-linked-to-dcm-in-dogs-study-says/?fbclid=IwAR2lbBAcC0cbMN98gPVr48x6qMCRylnEFbKxyjeaEXyo7zUrXta_3oWJu6Y

"Dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs is largely an inherited disease and not the result of a grain-free or legume-rich diet.

This is according to a literature review of 150 studies on the causes of DCM conducted by a group of veterinarians, veterinary cardiologists, and animal nutritionists from BSM Partners published in the Journal of Animal Science (JAS). BSM is a pet care research and consulting firm that works with numerous pet food companies.

According to the authors, the analysis found no definitive relationship between grain-free and legume-rich diets and incidents of DCM. Further, they say the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) reported cases of DCM include incomplete information (e.g. no mention of a dog’s diet history, age, etc.), making it impossible to draw any sound conclusions from this data.

“We wanted to gain the best understanding of this issue, so we examined the results of more than 150 studies, which taken together, did not support a link between grain-free and legume-rich diets and DCM,” says Sydney McCauley, PhD, an animal nutritionist and the review’s lead author. “What the science does make clear is DCM is largely an inherited disease.”

You need to be a member of Doodle Kisses to add comments!

Join Doodle Kisses

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Was coming on about to post a question about this, so thank you! Our vet is telling us to stop using grain free immediately based on the cardio issues and I really don't want to do that if it's not necessary. I can feed both my senior and puppy the Fromm formulas and don't want to be back to a puppy and senior formula. They are thriving on ALS grain-free.

My mom freaked out and switched her two off of grain free and I don't think that is a good thing as they have major allergies. I will share this with her!

• What really bothers me is the fact that this article was published by a veterinary professional organization, and apparently, many vets are not staying UTD on this kind of important information. 
      As always, we need to ignore our vets' advice about diet and nutrition for healthy dogs. They are not qualified and they are mostly under the influence of Big Dog Food. That's not just my opinion, it's been documented by one of the foremost nutrition experts in the U.S. Our medical doctors are not qualified to give specific nutritional advice either. The difference is that our doctors don't pretend to be nutritionists, don't recommend food brands and don't sell us food. It's a clear conflict of interest and that's been documented too. 
      They were all so quick to obey Purina's marketing dept. and send out emails to their clients warning about this completely fake non-issue before the research had even been completed and before any link could be shown. Why aren't they as quick to retract that? There's been complete silence on the fact that they were dead wrong. 
      If there was ever any doubt in my mind that ignoring GP vets' advice about food is the right thing to do, this whole issue has erased it. 

• A lot of vets seem to be very defensive about ever being questioned too.  It's like they just want you to smile and nod, pay and leave.  I'm sorry but don't you want owners who actually care about their pets and want to stay informed?

When we told our vet we absolutely didn't want to start metronizadole before Riley's fecal test came back they said "Why, did you get your information from google?".  Yes, I googled scientific articles.  Also - WHY would I rush to giving her a strong medication when she had ONE incidence of diarrhea (not days of it which could be a risk to her health)?  

They're the same way about the food.  The whole thing about grain free foods being "bad" was centered around taurine.  Good brands of grain-free dog food either have added taurine or have guaranteed amounts of taurine in the food... and guess what?  Taurine is found in all animal-based food sources.  

For a while there were people trying to feed their dogs vegan foods (probably still are), I would definitely be worried about balancing amino acids there just as I would be with my human vegan friends.

I know vets are probably jaded from people getting all sorts of misinformation from social media etc. but by not being informed themselves they are contributing to the problem.

• I really think there needs to be Continuing Ed requirements for doctors and vets; getting that doctorate degree 20 years ago (or even 5 years ago) doesn't mean you have kept up with current studies, developments, treatments, diagnostics, etc. 
          Of course, that doesn't address the food & drug manufacturer's influence on treatment choices. That part is entirely dependent on character & ethics, and there's no way to test for that.
          Every health professional should welcome and encourage questions from their clients. Every health professional should be delighted to have clients who are educated. Every health professional should want to work in partnership with their clients, not in a dictatorial, "my-way-or-the-highway" manner. 
          What I do know is that my life was forever devastated because one time I did not question the vets. I will never make that mistake again. 

• Our lives too were changed by just trusting our vet.  I will forever wonder if Luna would have still gotten Lymphoma so young if it weren't for the Apoquel she took for her allergies.  

My husband is a professional engineer and in order to keep his certification he has to take courses and work directly in the field a certain number of hours every year.  I don't know why it's not the same for medical professionals.  

• I was certified as a Clinical Exercise Physiologist by the American College of Sports Medicine and I had to re-certify every three years by submitting a certain number of hours of CECs. And my job didn't involve life-or-death decisions. (Although I did also have to hold a current CPR certification and be retested every three years.) 
              It absolutely should be the same for medical professionals, including vets. 
              Of course, there is nothing preventing vets from attending seminars and/or classes just to stay up on their knowledge. My vet does. I think that's one sign of a competent and conscientious vet. 

• I don't know much about Apoquel, but in a dog group I passingly saw a comment about how to get that med without an RX.  People need to stop this nonsense of self-prescribing!

• Apoquel is an immunosuppressant in the same drug class as the human biologic drug Xeljans, they are both Jans Kinase inhibitors, and carry the same cancer risks. In addition to several class action lawsuits against the manufacturer Zoetis, there is also this letter sent by the FDA regarding misleading labelling and label violations. You can share this with these stupid people in this dog group:
                  https://www.fda.gov/media/113909/download
                  I'll look for links to the lawsuit info, you can share that too. 

https://www.fda.gov/media/113909/download
This reply was deleted.